Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation

Most probably overlook smoke detectors and may not realize that it may be the most important device in your home. It needs to be up-to-date and function at all times to avoid tragic situations.

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that can cause death. Because it is odorless and colorless, it can be in a home without the occupants knowing. Although most homeowners know they have to protect their families with smoke detectors, many homes do not have carbon monoxide detectors. Without these detectors, families can be in danger. Homeowners who do not have these detectors need to hire licensed electricians for installation immediately.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector InstallationWhat Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly, and even minor exposure can cause symptoms. Unfortunately, because it is impossible to detect with the senses, this gas can lead to serious dangers. With Smoke and Carbon monoxide detector services, homeowners can know when they have a carbon monoxide problem so they can take quick action to protect their families. The following are some of the common symptoms experienced with carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Dizziness
  • Lightheadedness
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Sleepiness
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion

Carbon monoxide can easily build up in a home under certain circumstances. There are codes that dictate how smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are to be installed and where. Ideally, they are hardwired.

What Causes Carbon Monoxide Buildup in Homes?

Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is a byproduct that is released by many home appliances, including gas dryers, gas water heaters, gas stoves, and gas furnaces. This odorless gas may also be produced by fireplaces, car exhausts, and grills or even a gas leak.

Unfortunately, people may not know they have a problem with carbon monoxide until it is too late. According to the American Medical Association, around 2,100 Americans die each year because of accidental carbon monoxide exposure.

How to Protect Your Home Against Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide poisoning prevention is essential for helping keep homes safe. The following are some steps homeowners can take to protect themselves and those they love. Taking these steps can save lives.

It is absolutely essential to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in homes. These should be installed just like smoke detectors because they work in much the same way. After installation, it is important to test these detectors and change the batteries regularly. The batteries need to be changed every six to twelve months, depending on the battery.

Individuals should never operate any generators, vehicles, or fuel-powered grills inside their homes or in a closed garage. Doing so can lead to buildups of carbon monoxide that can be deadly and offer no warning.

When purchasing any gas-powered appliances, always look for the Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) or the American Gas Association seal of approval. This means the appliances have been inspected for any types of dangers, including leaks.

All gas appliances should be inspected regularly by professionals to ensure they are working properly. Safety issues are often discovered during these inspections, allowing repairs to take place before dangers occur.

Do not try to repair any gas appliances yourself. Leave these appliance repair issues in the hands of qualified repair technicians. DIY approaches to gas-powered appliance repair can lead to great dangers.

Always open the flue when operating a fireplace or furnace. The flue allows for proper ventilation to ensure gases do not build up in the home. It is important homeowners have their flues inspected often to ensure they are working correctly.

Battery powered Vs. Hardwired smoke detectors

Battery operated smoke detectors are less expense, easily accessible at most local home improvement stores, and easy to install by most homeowners. There is no need to hire licensed electricians to install them. During power outages, battered operated smoke detectors will still work. The drawback is that homeowners will need to ensure the battery is up-to-date.

Hardwired smoke detectors however are typically more expensive to install be cause they need to be hardwired and interconnected with other smoke detectors. By doing so, if one smoke detector alarm goes off, all of them will go off. As a result, all smoke detectors communicate when they are interconnected. You also have the peace of mind that they are backed up but a constant power and not solely rely on batteries to function.

Where Should Smoke Detectors be Installed?

Experts recommend homeowners have at least one carbon monoxide detector installed on every floor of their home. The best areas for installation are in hallways, near bedrooms, and near stairways. Each bedroom also needs at least one smoke detector at the highest point of the ceiling.

Call us today to schedule an appointment. We will be happy to provide you with expert smoke detector installation services to protect your family. Here at Fabri Electric, we take great pride in providing our customers with the electrical services they need, when they need them most. We are a state-licensed contractor with 18 years of service to our customers. We offer reliable, timely, and affordable services.

Just a Few of the Georgia Communities Where We Provide Electrical Repair Work

Alpharetta  |  Auburn  |  Buford  |  Chamblee  |  Clarkston  |  Decatur  |  Doraville  |  Druid Hills  |  Dunwoody  |  Johns Creek  |  Milton  |  Norcross  |  Peachtree Corners  |  Roswell  |  Sandy Springs  |  Scottdale  |  Sugar Hill  |  Suwanee  |  Tucker  |  Vinnings

Don’t see your city? No problem. Chances are we service your area too.
Just give us a call at (404)338-8405!

People Trust our Work, You Can Too